Monday, June 23, 2014

Wintergirls: How to Approach Food In A Christ-Like Manner


Jesus ate food right?
Yeah?
Okay just checking.
I wonder how He approached food, I mean I know He was a carpenter and probably spent a lot of time outside sweating calories, but did Jesus ever feel self-conscious about His body? Wish He hadn’t eaten that last roll? We may never know.

I’m guessing that at the end of a long and hot day laboring away, He did not even think twice about not eating. In my mind Jesus ate because He needed fuel in order to work and function the next day.
Also something to think about…God gave us taste buds. 
Hmmm… I wonder what those are used for? Jesus wants us to enjoy food, there’s a reason why He gave us taste buds. If He didn’t want humans to enjoy food He would have given us no taste buds or sense of smell. But I thank Jesus for my taste buds!
Man! Just the thought of not enjoying some chips and queso makes me squirm!

A lot of monumental events happened around the dinner table while Jesus was here on earth. For instance, Jesus ate with tax collectors and other people who in that time were considered the lowest of the low. Oh and not to mention the last supper (Luke 22: 7-23) where Jesus’ body and blood were represented in bread and wine because Jesus knew that these symbols would be a constant reminder to His people—because they ate daily.

 Now Jesus does not want us to be gluttonous by any means. He doesn’t want us to worship or idolize food (Philippians 3:19). But I think my loving and graceful Jesus wants us to enjoy all that He has given us in moderation.

In Wintergirls, Lia is tempted to eat while watching over bake sale and struggles to stick to her 500 a day calorie diet. 
“I shouldn’t. I can’t. I don’t deserve it. I’m a fat load and I disgust myself. I take up too much space already. I am an ugly, nasty hypocrite. I am trouble. I am a waste”.

All of these lies that Lia repeated to herself over and over are lies that Satan had engrained in her brain as truth. She was blinded by her own appearance with the Devil’s voice consuming her. After reading this book I can’t help but think, since when did eating become a luxury instead of a necessity?

At the end of the book Lia finally decided to get help with her eating disorder and started to have a healthier outlook on food itself. 
“I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds”.

When I look back at my experience with an eating disorder I am reminded on how restricted I felt. I felt so limited, but I should have remembered the freedom I have in Christ. All my chains of sin were already removed by Jesus’ death and resurrection. I should have found freedom and truth in His sacrifice and not dwelt in my sin like the Devil wanted me too.
During that time my thoughts were so focused on what I didn’t eat that I missed out on living my life. I could have been thinking about so many other beautiful things.

“I’m angry that I starved myself and that I sat shivering in my bed at night instead of dancing or reading poetry or eating ice cream or kissing a boy…”

Our lives here on earth can be glorious and pleasing to Jesus, but we need to remember that there is an Enemy ready to tackle our insecurities. However, if we cling to Jesus and spend time with Him, His closeness will comfort and strengthen us.

LASTLY, if you or someone you know is dealing with an eating disorder please remember that there is an exit strategy and His name is Jesus. You are not stuck in a deep pit with no lifesaver. Jesus brings healing and restoration and He wants His children to be healthy because he honestly and sincerely loves us.

Just in case you were wondering…
What is a Wintergirl?
A girl caught in-between worlds. She’s not dead, but not alive. She’s a ghost with a beating heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment