Sunday, June 22, 2014

Wintergirls: The Root to the Thorn Bush


Everyone has insecurities, it’s our human nature to have faults and weaknesses, but what we do with these weaknesses can sometimes define us or spiral into something detrimental. In order to get to the root of eating disorders we have to get to the root of where these voices come from. There is an almighty and righteous God out there ready to guide us in love as well as the angel disguised as light (Satan).

In Priscilla Shirer’s book, Discerning the Voice of God, she talks about the difference between God’s voice and Satan’s voice.

The Enemy as Priscilla says, “craftily (and often very effectively) uses our guilt and shame as a tool to steer us incorrectly”. I can’t help but think about how many times I’ve been steered away from the Lord by listening to the Devil’s voice… it’s a very frightening thought. We can’t disregard Satan’s power, he wants to see people (especially Christians) struggle, give into sin and hurt ourselves/others because this separates us from God. Satan finds great pleasure in seeing us in pain (Check out The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis).

However, we are not doomed because we serve an all-powerful God who wins the battle for us in the end! So back to the main character Lia… She could have easily been hearing Satan’s voice over God’s. Because just like God, Satan knows our insecurities just as well.

“It is the voice of the Enemy, seeking to use your vulnerability to deceive you”. –Priscilla Shirer

But no need to fret, there’s someone way more powerful than this mere fallen angel.

God’s voice is full of “healing and restoration” and instead of exposing our sin and wanting us to dwell in it He reveals our sin to us, “But His goal in doing so is to cleanse you and change you”. –Priscilla Shirer

Our loving Father wants us to have a “fresh desire for holiness and purity”.

I mean isn’t this quote so true? I know for me after I’ve done something wrong or hurt someone or given into my selfish ways I always have an urge to learn from the situation and be better in the future. This desire is the Lord working in our hearts…that is so RAD!

In Lia’s case she was already insecure about her body around age 12. So possibly the Devil ignited the flame when it came to Lia’s anorexia. Satan knew she was insecure about her appearance, so he gave her an option that came in his favor. Remember—seeing us in pain is what the Devil lives for.

When comparing God and Satan’s voice we have to identify the difference between 
condemn & convict. They are both very different yet often confused.

“To condemn means to consider something worthy of punishment. To convict means to bring something to light in order to correct it”. –Priscilla Shirer

For example, toward the end of the book Lia acknowledged how her disease affected her family and herself in a negative way. At first instead of wanting to get better and seek help, she hurt herself and was taken to the hospital. When you feel condemned you do not see a way out of the situation. You accept the darkness and figure that there is no exit to this way of life.

“The purpose of the voice of conviction is to press you into the face of Christ”. –Bob Sorge

It is such a great comfort to me knowing that I serve a God who wants to teach me through my trials and hardships (James 1:2). He wants me to acknowledge my sin and learn from every situation in order to grow closer to Him.

“God’s soothing, personal words of conviction offer you a remedy, a hope, and a way forward”. –Priscilla Shirer

You may think that God’s voice was absent in Lia’s case, but I disagree. I know in my experience with anorexia God’s voice was definitely present, but I just wasn’t listening. 
I was giving in to...
Satan’s voice
Satan’s ways 
and leaning on my own understanding and not my Heavenly Father.
Like I’ve said before, there is no “too dark” place for the Lord to work. He is like a flashlight in the mist of a storm; hope bearing and solution seeking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment