Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Stargirl: Radical Love


Why do you think the Lord gave us emotions? So that we can hide them and degrade the power of every emotion ever felt?

No way José

I don’t know what is appealing about hiding all of our emotions. I feel like a lot of humans have suppressed feelings their whole lives. Here’s the sitch… We’re not robots that have to be charged and re-programed every night. We’re humans made in God’s image and we have a wide range of emotions that could be felt. Think about Jesus when He was here on earth. 
Did He rejoice? Cry? Show signs of anger?

YES, YES & YES!!!

So if Jesus showed His emotions, by golly I’m gonna show mine!
But why have I been masking my emotions my whole life? It could be that I’m scared of showing too much or scared about the extremity of my emotions.

Now when Stargirl felt emotions or feelings toward life, something or someone, she expressed them radically! I sometimes wondered if Stargirl was actually from Texas…

”Everything’s bigger in Texas”.
Generally when people are in love they are so incandescently happy, so full of life, so on the edge of their seat that they wanna scream and proclaim to the whole world that they are in love! 
Elf anyone???             




Anyway I mean what is love? A bunch of fluff, a lot of toxic waste built up by songs and literature. Well that might be the world’s version of love-but the Christ version is so much better and the definition is written by the Creator of the world & not a best seller.
Love is such a gift from above and sometimes I forget how love was supposed to be handled in the eyes of God. Love is supposed to take time and love should be celebrated and not degraded to a tweet.

Normally people subdue their feelings or just express it on social media… but not Stargirl! She expressed her love on a white linen bed sheet in front of the entire school. Just because she could

STARGIRL
LOVES
LEO

I believe all of us have a Stargirl or Buddy the elf inside of us itching to get out! This part of us thrives on making our friends feel special, celebrating the little things in life like a B on a college test or expressing gratefulness to your friends for loving you faithfully. 
(Good friends should be celebrated more often!)
I hope that as life goes on I try to embrace my inner Stargirl, celebrating life by dancing and not neglecting my emotions… no matter how radical they may be. I pray that we as Christians can feel inspired by the story of Jesus and the Pharisees. Jesus was not obsessed with the rules of religion. He loved His people with a radical and unconditional love.

“Love is invincible facing danger & death. Passion laughs at the terrors of hell. The fire of love stops at nothing-it sweeps everything before it. Flood waters can’t drown love, torrents of rain can’t put it out. Love can’t be bought, love can’t be sold”. –Song of Solomon 8:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment